Saturday, April 26, 2008

the saga of the red wine stain

Getting ready for an open house on Sunday, our first since putting the house on the market.  Have spent months getting the house cleaned up and junk cleared out to make it presentable (8 years of junk I might add).  Not finished with the junk part but pretty far along.  Anyway...wouldn't you know it...I was cleaning up my office and spilled the remains of a glass of red wine on the carpet (I know, appropriate justice for not having finished the glass of red wine).   Horrors and panic.  But as I now look at the carpet at my feet, there is no stain...none.?  How?

First...I ran downstairs in frantic search of club soda...found a whole case of seltzer water which turned out to be so old there was no "seltzer" left (clearly haven't dejunked the garage yet).  finally found a small bottle of club soda....soaked the stain and got up about 80% of of it. 

Then a rush to the internet to google "red wine stains on carpets".  Chose the dishwashing soap (like Joy) and hydrogen peroxide recipe...scrubbed with a sponge....and voila...no stain...zip...zilch. 

I wonder how that recipe works on dog throwup...I suspect I will find out.

No comments: