Sunday, January 9, 2011

My Tree for the Year: Jacaranda

I've joined the Tree Year Community where I have pledged to observe, research, write about, photograph, and live around, under, and with one tree for a year.  I've chosen the big, mature Jacaranda that graces the front of our home in St Petersburg, Florida.  Here it is:


That's the tree on the right of the photo...its sibling is off to the left on the south side of the house.  The tree had a rough couple of years with an extended drought and little irrigation due to a two year construction project involving our home.  But in the last year, selective pruning, a decent amount of rain, a regular watering schedule, and a bit of fertilizing has brought her back to good health.

I grew up in Southern California where the Jacaranda was a popular street year planted in many of the parkways along the growing suburbs of So Cal developed in the 1950s.  I used to love to drive down streets in Whittier filled with huge old Jacarandas vividly purple in spring when they bloomed.  And where the streets had a dusting of lavender from falling petals.  I then spent nearly 20 years away from a "Mediterranean" climate which the Jacaranda so loves.  In moving to Florida last year, I've come back into the climate zone loved by one of my favorite trees.  I look forward to seeing its beauty throughout the year.

A few facts about the Jacaranda:

There are over 50 different types of Jacaranda.  J. mimosifilia is the type most common in Florida and for now I assume is the type I have growing in my front yard.  It will usually bloom twice a year. It likes sandy, well drained soils.It is hardy in zones 9 - 11.  It is usually propagated from seed.  Selected varieties are grafted.

And one lovely legend:

If a jacaranda petal falls on your head, you'll be blessed with good luck.

No comments: