Saturday, May 2, 2009

A Royal Visit

Last Tuesday night I hosted the Main Line Newcomers Bookgroup at my home. This bookgroup is one of my favorite activities and one I will miss greatly when I move. With Newcomers, I started the bookgroup 6 years ago last February. We've grown from 3readers to an average of 10 (with another 5 to 7 "sometimers"). We've read a diverse set of books over the years, some books I would never have picked for myself. We've enjoyed long conversations, good food and wine, and many interesting books.

This Tuesday we discussed one of my favorite books of the past few years, "Queen of the Road" by Doreen Orion. It is hysterically funny in parts, touching and revealing in others, and all in all thought provoking. I've had the good fortune to "friend" the author via Facebook and email over the past year. And as has become her custom she was willing to "attend" our bookgroup via speaker phone. So we came in our favorite shoes and drank martinis (you need to read the book to get the connection) and enjoyed a wonderful 45 minute chat with Doreen.

A great evening was had by all.




No comments: