Tuesday, July 8, 2008

My favorite Book for the Summer!

I was waiting  in line at my local bookstore when I spied a pile of books entitled "Queen of the Road".  Being an avid traveler and lover of memoirs, I picked one up. I read the first 2 pages and forgot why I wanted the book I held in my other hand.  I was hooked...laughing out loud in the check out counter line!  "Queen of the Road" by Doreen Orion is a hysterically funny laugh out loud as well as thoughtful and touching  memoir about a mid-40ish woman who was convinced by her much loved husband to get in a customPrevost bus for a years adventure around the United States (a huge step for a self-proclaimed "bus phobic" woman). Thus she tries to figure out how to fit just 1/2 of her HUGE collection of shoes, 2 cats and a dog, satellite internet connection, a TV (which they then seldom watched) and other "necessities" of her pre-bus life into the world's skinniest apartment on wheels. Their adventures (both travel and personal) and their personal discoveries into what really matters to them are heart warming and thought provoking. And in the end, it is a love story of a couple learning about themselves, each other and the world around them on the Great American Roadtrip.  Oh, and by the way...the "Queen" makes killer martinis...recipes included! 
 

No comments: